Ayurvedic Home Remedy For Cough And Cold
What is cough? The common cold or flu may result in cough or coughing. It usually departs after a hardly any days. The cough can be a harassing problem for the patient as well as a physician. Coughing is an important defense mechanism that plays an important role in maintaining the integrity of the airways, it may be voluntary or involuntary.
The cough is normally activated by mechanical or chemical inspiration of receptors in the laryngotracheal bronchi. Cough receptors may also survive in the sinus, nose, external auditory ear canals, tympanic membranes, pericardium, parietal pleura, stomach, esophagus, and diaphragm.
What is cough in ayurveda ?
In Ayurveda cough or coughing it is symptom classifies in into two main categories: Kasa (cough) or Ardra – Kasa (Coughing) Coughing is called as Kasa In Ayurveda, and the second is Ardradra Swasa means (difficulty in breathing). Respiratory disease in Ayurveda is believed to be result of the doshas flawed. Ayurvedic remedies are aimed at correcting the vitiated doshas and bring the doshas back to normal.
The cough is also called Kala-raga and pertussis. It’s noisy expulsion of air from the lungs is a highly contagious disease of the airway’s system stem. It mainly affects children and is caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis. Cough or coughing is merely a symptom and not a disease.
Different Types of Coughs
- Cough of smokers, drug addicts and drunkards.
- Pitta ,Kapha, Vata, induced Cough.
- Pharyngeal and Laryngeal Cough.
- Cough caused by food.
- Tubercular Cough.
- Asthmatic Cough.
- Spasmodic cough.
- Nervous Cough.
- Senile Cough.
- Allergic Cough
- Dry cough
Signs and Symptoms of the Cough-Coughing
- Flu-like symptoms (fever,headache,fatigue, sore throat, aches and pains)
- Coughing up clear mucus yellow, brown or green
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Runny nose (nasal congestion)
- Hoarse voice
- Sore throat
Cough In Ayurveda (Kasa Raga)
- Born vata disorders
- Injury or infection
The first three types of cough are easy to handle, but the latter two categories are a different proposition.
Two Common Type of Coughing
A dry cough :The cough is usually is in the throat as a tickle, which sets up the coughing.It may be due to the throat and upper respiratory tract becomes inflamed, it is not productive. After about 1 to 2 weeks, the dry, irritating cough becomes coughing.
A chest cough :cheast cough can either due to mucus production occurs in response to infection or non-productive due to the infection causing the lung passages to swell.
What are the causes of cough ?
- Childhood asthma can lead to cough
- Disorders of the upper airways
- Disorders of the pericardium
- Chronic pulmonary infection
- Interstitial lung disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Bronchogenic carcinoma
- Psychogenic disorders
- Bird flu in humans
- Cystic fibrosis
Six Different Types of Cough
- Subacute cough : this type of cough remain for about three to eight weeks.
- Acute cough : this is a cough can lasts up to three weeks.
- Productive cough : a cough that brings stuff up, such as sputum.
- Chronic cough : this type can lasts for over eight weeks.
- Dry cough : a cough that brings nothing up.
- Nocturnal cough : only occurs at night.
Home Remedies Treatment for Cough
- For severe cough, mix tulsi juice with garlic juice and honey. A teaspoon of this mixture is taken once every three hours will treat excessive coughing.
- To reduce the cough, boil oregano in water, strain and drink.
- Aniseed is another useful remedy for a dry cough with difficult expectoration complex. It breaks up the mucus. A tea made from this spice if taken regularly may help in treating this condition.
- A teaspoon of honey with a cup of grape juice mixed, is recommended for cough relief.
- Put 2 cups of cherries with saucepan and water is also beneficial. 2 cups of honey with some lemon slices. Boil the mixture until cherries are tender. Eradication of heat. Take away the slices of lemon and cherry pits from the mixture. Store at low and take some tablespoons as needed for cough.
- Make a paste of dates,black pepper,raisins,long pepper and Vidangos and mixed with an equal amount of honey can take three to four times a day.
- Another effective home remedy for cough is a raisin sauce. This sauce is made by grinding 100 grams of raisins with water. 100 grams of sugar should be mixed with it and allow the mixture to heat. When the mixture is obtained similar to a sauce consistency, must be preserved.dose of twenty grams should be taken every day before bedtime .
- Mix equal parts of ginger juice and honey and have 2-3 times a day is fine for cough.
- A syrup of 1 teaspoon of raw onion juice with 1 teaspoon of honey have been more than 3 to 4 hours serves as an excellent cough syrup. This is another home remedy for cough superiors.
- A teaspoon of honey, a pinch of turmeric powder, cardamom chewed for a while, a toothpick, all these have proved very beneficial in the treatment of dry cough.
- Chewing betel leaf with 3-4 black Tulsi (Krishna Tulsi) leaves, a nail and a small amount of menthol three times a day provides relief from severe cough.
- Cinnamon is a well known herb used in cooking, as well as tea, apple juice and more. Making a cup of tea and put some cinnamon for cough relief. This is simple and effective home remedy for cough.