The Ancient Ayurveda Reciepe Kaunch Pak (Mucuna Pruriens) Benefits
Kaunch or Kapikachhu/kaunch beej (Mucuna pruriens) is a plant found in Indian sub-continent and Africa. This amazing adaptogen herb is well known for its wide range of strengthening, tonifying effect with abundant beneficial properties. Whole Kaunch plants has medicinal properties and have been used widely in Ayurvedic and Unani medicine to treat nerve and sexual disorder’s and also used as dietary supplement.
This Indian herb is known by many names such as Khajrikuili (India) cowitch, cowhage, velvet beans (in United States, Australia, and southern Africa), sea beans, buffalo beans, Kapikachu, Atmagupta, pica-pica (Venezuela), frijol terciopelo (in Latin America) and many more.
The Mucuna pruriens contains 40mg/g of a compound called Levodopa (L-dopa) a precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine. The plant and its extracts have been long been used in tribal communities as a toxin antagonist for various snakebites. Research on its effects have shown its potential use as the preventive treatment of snakebites such as cobra, Saw scaled viper, Malayan Pit viper and Krait.
Ayurvedic view on Kaunch Pak
Ayurveda remedy “Kaunch Pak” are based on single herbs or used with the combination of one or more. The main herb widely use in it is Mucuna Prurita, commonly known as ‘Kaunch’.According to Ayurveda Kaunch Pak provides strength to female and makes her enable for pregnancy.
It acts as beneficial for woman to maintaining menstrual cycle. It have been used from ancient time for many aliments such as Aphrodisiac activity, impotency, spermatorrhoea, sexual debility, enhance libido, fertility etc.
Pharmacodynamic Properties According To Ayurveda
1. Rasa: Madhura (sweet)
2. Tikta (bitter)
3. Guna: Guru (heavy)
4. Snigdha (oily)
5. Virya: Ushna (hot)
6. Vipaka: Madhura (sweet)
7. Doshakarma: Vata shamak (alleviates V Dosha)
How to make kaunch Pak ?
The ayurvedic preparation of “Kaunch Pak” is used since ancient time. More than 1000 years so one cannot say or have the perfect (SOP) standard operating procedure it have changes a lot since that time.
Every region has its own recipe they changed according to the Availability of their regional herbs. So the preparation of “kaunch Pak” may vary from one other. Below is one of those recipes.
1. First take kaunch beej and soak in warm water for 12 hrs.
4. Now mix 1280gms of kaunch beej powder with 16 times of cow’s milk and boil until reduced to 2/5 of the original.
5. Now add twice quantity of ghee in it and cook over medium heat.
6. Take four times of sugar quantity and make syrup of it. Now add the sugar syrup to the initial mixture.
7. Now add all these below 2o ingredients (20 gm) it must be used in powder form.
1. Vanshlochan (Bambusa arundinacea Willd)
2. Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivillianum)
3. Tejpatra (Cinnamomum tamala Nees & Ebrm)
4. Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum Breyn)
5. Safed Jira (Cuminum cyminum Linn)
6. Elaichi (Elettaaria cardamomum Maton)
7. Lavang (Eugenia caryophyllus Linn)
8. Jivanti (Leptadenia reticulataWight & Arn)
9. Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea Linn)
10. Jatiphala (Myristica fragrans Houtt)
11. Pippali (Piper longum Linn)
12. Black pepper (Piper nigrum Linn)
13. Karanja ki giri (Pongamia glabra Vent)
14. Priyangu (Prunus mahalab Linn)
15. Gajpipal (Scindapsus Officinalis Schott (Roxb)
16. Bilva (Semicarpus AnacardiumLinn. )
17. Ajowan (Tradyspermum ammi Sprague)
18. Sunthi (Zingiber Officinale Roscae)
19. Akarkara (Anacyclus pyrethrum Linn.)
20. Samudhri shosha ( Argyreia speciosa (L.F.)
When the mixture is cooled add 640gms of honey and Kesar and Decorate with silver foil. Kaunch Pak must be consumed in an amount that does not influence hunger and appetite for food.
Benefits of Mucuna Prurita
Mucuna Prurita is an annual twiner whose all parts such as kaunch beej (seed), leaves, roots etc are of medicinal value it has been used for the following properties or conditions:
1. Mucuna Pruriens benefits for body building: Mucuna pruriens can be a very advantageous supplement for bodybuilders as it is rich in amino acid L-Dopa, which helps to lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Mucuna pruriens has been used as an anti-Parkinson’s disorder drug. Further benefit of Mucuna, is that it can increase the production of HGH (Human Growth Hormone).
An increase in HGH levels can gain the body’s competency to build lean muscle and break down fat. Mucuna has also been shown to have diuretic effects. It increases tissue resiliency and improves coordination. Mucuna can also increase testosterone levels, which in turn can lead to increased muscle mass and strength.
2. Mucuna Pruriens benefits for Parkinson’s disease: The kaunch beej powder of Mucuna prurient possesses long traditional in Ayurvedic Indian medicine for many ailment including (kampavat in Ayurveda) Parkinson.
The researchers have found that Mucuna prurient is more effective than the levodopa in reducing dyskinesias.Various compounds’ of kaunch beej such as gallic acid, unsaturated acids, harmin alkaloids, genistein, nicotine, bufotenin, lecithin, etc.
It have been isolated which possess neuroprotective activity and support the anti Parkinson’s Disease activity of levodopa.The seeds of kaunch beej have about 0.2% – 2% of L-dopa in their dry condition.
3. Mucuna Pruriens benefits for Human Growth Hormone: Mucuna prurient contains 40mg/g of a compound named L-DOPA, which perhaps support the body’s competency to stimulate the natural release of growth hormone.
The blood carries the dopamine into the brain, where it spontaneously increases (HGH) production from the pituitary gland. The raise dopamine levels also optimize the production of other hormones, including testosterone, leading to increased sex drive and improved sexual function for both men and women, helping in stimulating muscle growth, as well as burning fat from fat cells.
4. Mucuna Pruriens Increase Sperm Count: Research done at the University of Lucknow in India has come to this conclusion that the supplement improved the quantity and quality of the men’s semen. They have tested with 75 healthy men and 75 men who were unable to have children.
All the men were between 25 to 40 years. They were given 5 g a day of dried and ground Mucuna powder daily for three months. They have found that the healthy men had little room for improvement with no side effect. But the men with a low sperm count (scientifically known as oligozoospermia) have shown effect more noticeable.
The analysis of the men’s blood showed lot of improvement in the semen which is associated with an increased to manufacture of the male sex hormone testosterone. The pituitary gland produces the messenger hormones FSH and LH, which prompt the testes to manufacture sperm and testosterone.
5. Mucuna Pruriens benefits for Aphrodisiac Effects: Mucuna pruriens is capable of rectifying sexual behaviour libido to accomplishment it. In an aphrodisiacal study done at College of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Manipal on “Mucuna Pruriens” the dose of 75 mg/kg body weight was given daily to male albino rats.
It was found that the sexual activity of male albino rats significantly increased the testosterone level. The research also discloses that sexual activity in animals had increased sexual desire and enhanced performance after 21 to 28 days. However, impotent animals did not derive any benefits.
Further study reveals that Mucuna Pruriens not only improved arousal and improved sexual activity to a pleasant extent but also maintain it for a longer time as indicated by the increase in below Ejaculation Latency and decrease in Post Ejaculatory Interval.
Mucuna Prueins is shown to control central depressant activity and delay in ejaculation that could be due to hypersensitive of genitals. This study showed that Mucuna Pruriens can be used to improve libido and hindrance premature ejaculation.
Kaunch Beej (Mucuna Pruriens) Side Effects
The women during pregnancy must completely avoid consumption of Mucuna Pruriens as it has uterine stimulant effect that may cause birth defects.
It have L-dopa that reacts to lowers the blood sugar level so people with diabetes or hypoglycemia must only use Kauch under the supervision of health care expert.
It has androgenic activity, increasing testosterone levels so persons with excessive androgen syndromes should avoid using Kaunch.
Dose: There is no specifically determined herbal dosage for aphrodisiac, but of the expert agree on 15-30 grams a day for adults as a safe and effective amount.
Note: As dose may vary from person to person so ‘Mucuna Pruriens” must only use under the supervision of a qualified doctors.