How To Make Ghee ( Desi ghee ) At Home?
Most of the people might be familiar with word “Ghee”. The people unknown to ghee generally say what is ghee? It is unsalted butter that has the milk solids removed after separation of butterfat.
It resulting in beautiful golden color with nutty flavor and the aroma that goes all around it. In other words ghee is somewhat like clarified butter but with more beneficial properties and less side effects.
The ghee is remarkably more stable even at high temperatures. Ghee is also known as “liquid gold” and have revered in Indian culture for centuries. When ghee is made from high quality of butter it is a great source of fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin K.
It is ideal for the teeth, hair, skin, nails skin crack with more intense flavor and nutrients. Although there are many health benefits of ghee there are some disagreement too on the use of ghee for people with high cholesterol levels.
Some experts believe that ghee is not advised in cases of high cholesterol because it contains high saturated fat. Others consider that the ghee may be beneficial for patients with heart disease with cholesterol problems. As they believe that it raises levels good cholesterol (HDL) and reduces levels of bad cholesterol (LDL).
Ayurvedic View on Ghee
Ayurveda recommended ghee as a healthy diets it is particularly useful for Pitta constitution. It makes food tastier and helps to absorb food for better digestion.
It is a complete diet that stimulates “Agni” without upsetting Pitta doshas. It is also useful to other two doshas Vata and Kapha. The Ghee has also been renowned as “Rasayana” in Ayurveda.
Ayurvedic benefit of Ghee
In Ayurveda ghee is considered to have numerous health benefits. Besides cooking it is various therapeutic purposes for which ghee can be used for below are some of them.
- It is recommended for cure of constipation and ulcers as it stimulates the secretion of stomach acids that causes this aliment.
- It is used to improve the health of the eyes, skin, and bone and even for accelerating hair growth.
- It is considered to be beneficial for healing burns, asthma, blisters and even hemorrhoids.
- It helps in detoxification processes and is considered to have antibiotic and antiseptic preservation qualities.
- It is considered to be very useful for learning and memory retention in general.
- It is rich in antioxidants, that helps in the absorption of vitamins and minerals which is recommended for strengthening of the body’s immune system.
- It is even believe that it can inhibit the growth of cancer cells (researches on it have not yet proved).
How To Make Ghee At Home?
Initially, it may seem a bit difficult to make ghee at home as you have to be observed and require lot of times, in obtaining the main ingredient of butter. The ghee can be obtained only if you have good amount of milk consumption in your home. If you do not have consumption of Milk it would week or days to gather enough cream for making ghee.
- Preparation time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Total time: 30 min
Yield of Ghee:
Note: The yield of ghee may vary depending on the quality of the butter used.
- About 1 litre of buffalo milk have 7-8 % fat so you can get yield about 80gms of ghee and 35 to 40 Gms of ghee from cow milk.
- Milk Cream (Malai)
- A large non-stick pan with deep bottomed
- A cotton cloth/cheese cloth
- A clean glass jar for storage
- A spoon
How To Start Making Ghee?
- Following simple procedure could help in obtaining the clarified butter. Collect a one cup of cream from the milk daily (it can be obtain form 1 liter of milk). To get thick milk cream, boil the milk and refrigerate overnight in the morning you will get thick milk cream. Store the cream in an air tight container preferably a glass container. Store the cream in fridge and make sure that it does not get spoiled. Remove the day when the container seems full or quantity about 10 cups of cream that is enough to make ghee.
- The day you decide to make ghee you will need a container full of yogurt. The yogurt must be sour to get the best churning effect. If it not enough sour keep yogurt in open; outside the refrigerator for a few hours. Its odour would indicate that it has become sour and ready for making ghee, you can also taste it.
- Take a mixture or a blender with the blade used to churn milk, you can also use hand-held churning device. Now pour the cream and yogurt together. Take the equal proportion both cream and yogurt (eg.1 spoonful of cream and1spoonful of yogurt). After adding churn for 4-6 minutes. When you open the lid you will find the butter floating on top from the milky water or whey.
- Remove the butter and place it in a large non-stick pan. Repeat the process until you get the final fall of butter. The remaining liquid can be drunk or used in the form of whey. You can also use it to make curry dishes or yogurt based foods.
- Now place large non-stick pan on fire on low heat. Stir it with a spoon for over the next 30-40 minutes, the water in the butter will boil away and the butter will start melting. Milk solids will appear on the liquid surface and the bottom of the vessel. (There is about 20 percent of butter is composed of water).
- Be alert to remove liquid from the heat as the milk solids turn golden brown at the bottom of the vessel. At this particular point you will feel the aroma of the ghee and you can see small bubbles rising from the bottom. This is the perfect time to put-off the fire otherwise the ghee will burn.
- Strain it when it becomes warm (do not strain at burning point) pour into a heavy glass or in stainless steel container. At this point the ghee is very hot, so you should always be cautious. Strain the Ghee pouring through a cotton cloth or cheese cloth directly into clean glass jars or bowls.
How To Make Medicated Ghee?
- Amalaki 25gm
- Musta [ Nagarmotha] 25gm
- Gulvel 25gm
- Shatavari 25gm
- Ashwagandha 50gm
- Take all above herbs in a container pour 2litre of water and keep it for soaking for overnight.
- Take a large non-stick pan with deep bottomed now pour the herbal solution in it.
- Keep the pan on a burner at medium flame gently stir the solution till the (decoction) becomes 1/2 liters. Remember siring must be slowly and continuously. Filter the preparation (Decoction) through thick cotton cloth.
- Now take pan add 1/2 kgs of pure Ghee and in 1/2 liters of decoction which we have prepared. Keep this preparation on medium gas burner and stir till all water content evaporates.
- Now medicated ghee is ready, you can test the quality of moisture by pouring 2-3 drops of Ghee on Gas burner. If the flame burns more bright with no additional sound it is perfect. If the preparation contain water or moist you will heard additional sound.
- Filter Ghee with cotton cloth and store this Ghee in a dry bottle it is now ready to use.
- You can use 1 teas spoon daily three times a day for three months (for more extent use you must consult expert doctor)
Pure Ghee can be stored at room temperature for several weeks and if stored in the refrigerator it can remain till indefinite time. Ghee can be used in the same way as all cooking oil it can be replaced with butter.
Note: If you have cholesterol problems you are requested to take suggestion or consult your doctor before using ghee.