Patharchatta Plant (Bryophyllum)-Health Benefits & Medicinal Use
Bryophyllum calcynium is a small shrub that grow around the height of 1-4 feet, is well known for its medicinal uses. It is in particular known for treatment of kidney stone, ulcers, wounds, bleeding as well as piles.
Bryophyllum calcynium plant in English is known as “Miracle Leaf” or “Life Plant” and in Hindi is called as Patharchur, Paan-futti, Pather Chat, etc. It is a plant that has been uses as ayurvedic medicine for ages. It have found helpful in many ailments due to its tremendous medicinal properties in it.
Bryophyllum Calycinum Indian Names
- Hindi: Jakh Me Hayat, Panfutti, Patherchart.
- Sanskrit name: Parn beej, hemsagar, Asthibhaksha, Parnabija, Parnabijah,Pashanabheta.
- Tamil: Ranakalli.
- Bengali: Koppata.
- Gujarati: Ghaymaari.
- Bengali: Koppat, Patharkuchi, Gatrapuri, Kaphpata, Koppata, Pathorkuchi.
- Kannada: Kaadubasale, Dadabadike, Patrajeeva.
- Malayalam: Elachedi, Elamulachi, Ilamarunnu, Ilamulachi.
- Telugu: Ranapala.
- Tamil: Runa kalli, Malaikkalli, Runakkalli.
- Unani: Zakhm-hayaat, Zakhm-e-Hayaat, Pattharchoor, Pattharchat.
- Siddha: Ranakkalli.
- Tripura: Jeos, Naproking, Pathorkuchi.
Bryophyllum Calycinum Vernacular names in world
- Chinese : Wan Fei, Luo Di Shen Gen.
- English: Life Plant, Goethe Plant, Cathedral Bells, Miracle Leaf, Air Plant, Floppers.
- Estonian : Sulgjas Kalanhoe.
- Filipino: Katakataka, Kataka-Taka.
- German : Goethe-Pflanze.
- Ilokano/ Iloko : Abistrana, Abisrana.
- Indonesian : Suru Bebek, Cocor Bebek.
- Japanese : Seiron-Benkei, Sohichi-Gusa.
- Kingdom of Tonga : Pipivao.
- Latvian : Plūksnainā Kalanhoja.
- Lithuanian (Lietuvių): Plunksninė Kalankė.
- Polish: Pierzasta.
- Quechua : Ch’uqriyuyu.
- Russian: Kalanchoe Peristoe.
- Spanish : Hoja Fresca, Flor De Arete.
- Tagalog: Katakataka.
- Tibeto-Burman: Jeos, Jeus, Patharkuchi, Roah-Kapanghey.
- Ukrainian (Українська): Каланxое Пірчасте.
- Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt): Cây Lá Bỏng, Cây Sống Đời, Cây Thuốc Bỏng.
Where are Bryophyllum calcynium plant found?
Bryophyllum calcynium plant are mostly found in the countries like Asia, New Zealand, Australia, Macaroneia, West Indies, Galapagos, Mascarenes, Polynesia, Melanesia and Hawaii. In the countries like Hawaii it is regarded as an invasive species. It is also found widely in the Philippines and commonly known as katakatoka or kataka-toka which means “astonishing” or “remarkable”.
Ayurvedic Properties Bryophyllum Pinnatum
- Guna (qualities) : Laghu (light to digest), Rooksha (Dryness)
- Rasa (taste) : Kashaya (Astringent), Amla (sour)
- Vipaka (taste conversion after digestion) : Madhura (sweet),sheeta (Coolant)
- Tridosha effect: Kapha-Pitta Hara (Reduces the vitiated Kapha and Pitta dosha), Vranaropana (wound healing), Raktastambhana (remove coagulation of blood).
Ayurvedic Medicinal Uses Of Patharchatta Leaves
- Eye pain: Apply juice made from fresh leaves all around the eyes; it helps to cures pain in the white part of eyes.
- Constipation: Make tea from dried leaves and consume you will get relief from constipation.
- Heart health: Consume juice in the morning; it will improve the health of the heart.
- Dysentery: Consume juice extract from the leaves with honey it will get you relief from dysentery.
- Wounds: Take leaves and slightly warm the leaves crush them and tie on the wound, it will help to heal wound faster.
- Fever: Consume the juice; the antipyretic property in the leaves will help to relieve fever symptoms.
- Leucorrhoea: A women suffer from leucorrhoea disorder should consume the decoction of the leaves twice a day. It helps to delay the flow of blood within the blood vessels.
- Mucous: Consume juice made from Stem as well as the leaves; take daily to rid the body of mucous and waste matter.
- Swelling: Apply the paste made from leaves on the swelling; anti-inflammatory property in it will reduce it significantly.
- Piles: Consume juice made from the extract of the leaves twice a day, it will help to get ridge from piles.
- Grey hair: Applying juice on hair regularly can help to prevent the greying of hair; it will also make hair healthy.
- Hemorrhages: Take few leaves pounded it and apply as poultices to the soles of the feet to stop haemorrhages.
- Liver: Ailments like jaundice can be cure by consuming juice; it will also boost the function of liver.
- Kidney: Regular consume of juice can help in many kidney related disorders.
- Ear pain: Put few drops of juice in a ear, it will get relief from earaches.
- Diabetics: Consume juice made from leaves daily, twice a day see your drop in blood sugar levels significantly.
- Boils: Apply a fresh juice on the boils; it is also helpful in redness as well as swelling of the skin.
- Colds and coughs: Consume the juice of leaves along with sugar candy; it will also help the people suffering from asthma.
- Immunity: Consume tea made from the dried leaves have it twice or thrice a day, it will help you fight free radicals better.
- Stomach ache: Consume decoction made from the leaves, it will help in stomach ache and you will get can relief.
- Worms: Consume juice from leaves, a anthelmintic properties in Bryophyllum pinnatum will help to remove worms in the intestine effectively.
- Weight management: Consuming juice of Bryophyllum pinnatum leaves regularly will help to lose weight.
- Purifies blood: It is a miracle leaf that has a blood purifying agent, it removes the toxins from body and helps improve your health.
- Skin ulcers: Apply juice made from crushed leaves to the infected area, it will cure and bring relief from also skin ulcers.
How to use Patharchatta Leaves?
1. Kidney stones
- Take 40-50 ml decoction of whole plant twice a day.
- The other way is, to take decoction with (500 mg Shilajit + 2 gm honey). Mixed it and consume twice a day.
2. Bleeding diarrhea
- Take 3-6 gm of juice of fresh leaves, mix cumin seeds to it and add double amount of ghee. Take mixture thrice a day. It will help to control the blood flow in diarrhea.
3. Urinary disorders
- For disorder related to urinary system, Take 5 ml juice of leaves twice a day.
- For urine related disorder take, 40-60 ml of decoction mixed with 2 gm of honey, twice a day.
4. Diuretic action
- Take of 40-60 ml of decoction daily in the morning and evening. It will help to cure most of the urinary disorders; it is also good for curing excessive thirst.
- Take 3-4 fresh leaves, crush it and apply on the forehead, it will help to cures headache.
- Take 2-5 fresh leaves from aerial parts, extract it and consume, it will help in controlling blood pressure.
7. Ulcer/sprains/insect stings
- Take 5-6 fresh leaves crush it and apply it as a poultice to the affected area. Repeat this twice a day, in morning and night, it will benefit in all this ailments.
8. Chest cold
- Take 3-4 leaves and juice them add a pinch of salt and consume this three times a day for as long as needed.
- Take 5-10 fresh leaves from aerial parts, extract it and consume twice a day, it will help in blood cancer.
10. Vaginal disorders
- For vaginal disorder, take 40-60 ml decoction made from fresh leaves, add 2 gm of honey in it and consume twice a day.
- Take a leaves and heat leaves on frying pan, crush them and tie it as poultice on the affected area. It will cure boils, redness and swelling too.
Medicinal Properties of Bryophyllum Pinnatum
There are many medicinal plants that are used for maintaining health a specific condition. They are used both in modern medicine as well as in traditional medicine. The Food and Agriculture Organization department in 2002 estimated that there are over 50,000 medicinal plants that are used across the world for their medicinal properties. Below are given Bryophyllum pinnatum medicinal properties that are used for different ailment.
1. Astringent: It is properties that can help to improve skin’s appearance; it minimizes the pores. Astringent is generally used as application for cleansing, but before moisturizing. In a natural form, astringent can be excellent for all skin types. Applying astringent two to three times daily can keep your skin clear and fit.
2. Analgesic: It is a property that is used as a medication that basically relieves pain. Good-natured analgesics work as Aspirin; it indirectly stops the enzyme-controlled synthesis of Prostaglandins. It by restricting the synthesis process of Prostaglandins reduces pain, fever and inflammation.
3. Anti-aggregate: It is also known as Anticoagulants or antiplatelet, it helps to eliminate or reduce the risk of blood clots. It is often called blood thinners, but it doesn’t really thin your blood. It works by blocking or by breaking up dangerous blood clots that are created in blood vessels or heart.
4. Anti–dysenteric: It is a property that can help in relieving or preventing dysentery. It is widely helpful for treating of diarrhea, constipation, colic, etc. dysentery is ailment that is resulted in due to various types of infectious pathogens such as viruses, parasites, bacteria, etc.
5. Anti–inflammatory: It is a property that helps in reducing inflammation by acting on systems of the body. Inflammation generally develops when chemicals from the body’s white blood cells are released into the blood or affected tissues. To safeguard the body from foreign bodies our body releases the compounds that increase the blood flow to the part of wound or infection, which result in warmth and redness.
6. Antiseptic: It is a property that is capable of preventing infection by binding the growth of destructive agents. It works like a chemical, such as chlorhexidine or cetrimide that demolishes or prevents the growth of infirmity micro-organisms. Externally Antiseptics are used to cleanse wounds and internally to treat infections of the intestine and bladder.
Best examples of some antiseptics are: iodine, hydrogen peroxide, povidone-iodine, polyhexanide, boric acid, alcohol, benzalkonium chloride, etc.
7. Antispasmodic: It is a type of properties that are used to smooth muscle relaxation, to relieve spasm of impulsive muscle, particularly in tubular organs of the gastrointestinal tract. It is effective in preventing of spasms of the stomach, urinary bladder or intestine. It acts by delaying the natural activity of the gut; it relaxes the muscles in the stomach and intestines.
8. Cytotoxic: It is also known as antineoplastics, it is a group of medicines that contain chemicals, which are toxic to cells, cell-killing or cell-toxic. They prevent their replication or over growth of cells, it is used to treat cancer, particularly. Besides this, properties can also be used to treat a number of other disorders such as multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
9. Diuretic: It is also recognized as water pills, these properties are helpful in treating a variety of conditions; such as glaucoma, high blood pressure, edema, etc., It is effective; it promotes elimination of urine/agent who increases the amount of urine excreted. It helps to get rid of body salt (sodium) and water and make kidneys release more sodium into your urine.
10. Disinfectant: Disinfectants properties are generally used to kill bacteria on non-living surfaces like floors and lifeless objects. Disinfectant is mainly used as an antiseptic which is applied to clean wounds before medication. Some disinfectants have the potential to kill a wide range of microorganisms while others can only kill a specific type of bacteria.
11. Emollient: Is a property that keeps the skin moist and flexible and prevents cracks on the skin. They are non-cosmetic or natural moisturisers that come in the form of creams, ointments, gels, lotions, etc. Emollients are safer for skin and one can feel more comfortable and less itchy. It is key ingredients that soothe and protect irritated or inflamed skin; it moisturizes and replenishes the skin’s natural tissues.
12. Hemostatic: An antihemorrhagic is a substance that promotes hemostasis means stops bleeding. Hemostasis is also be known as a hemostatic or a styptic agent a specific type of antihemorrhagic agent that works by contracting tissue to seal injured blood vessels. It is helpful in the first stage of wound healing.
13. Immunomodulatory: It is a chemical agent (as methotrexate or azathioprine) that modifies the immune response or boosts the function of immune system. It, in other words, motivates antibody formation or the inhibition of white blood cell activity. It provides toxic or immunotoxic effects; it stops allergic reactions or destruction of immune effectors.
14. Styptic: It is a property that is capable of stop bleeding to when it is applied to a wound. A wound stops bleeding due to the process of clot formation called coagulation. Today Styptic Pencil is used to seal small cuts and nicks, especially those caused during wet shaving.