6 Foods and Natural Remedies for Healthy Hair
Our hair is our crowning glory and it reflects our personality. That is why we always take care of it and seek ways to keep it shiny and full of life.
Some prefer regularly getting a hair treatment in Dubai or other top fashion regions to keep the lustre of their hair. However, there are still many of us who like to treat their hair from the inside by eating healthy food. Keep reading the list below to learn some useful and effective natural remedies for healthy hair.
1) Get a Good Dose of Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are good for your hair as they keep the scalp hydrated and healthy. Your body can’t produce fatty acids, but you can still look for food sources to get a healthy dose of this nutrient.
The following are good sources of Omega-3 fatty acids:
- Plant sources like avocado, pumpkin seeds and walnuts
- Oily fish like salmon, herring, trout, mackerel and sardines
- Soy milk, pasteurised dairy products and yogurt
2) Avocado for Damaged Hair
We all want our hair to look great and that is why we blow-dry it every day, curl it or iron it. However, frequent exposure to heat can damage your hair and leave it limp and dry. A good natural remedy for this is an avocado mask.
Avocados are rich in minerals, essential fatty acids and vitamins. This fruit can aid in restoring your hair’s health and shine. Here’s the step-by-step guide on creating your avocado hair mask:
- Remove the pit of a ripe avocado
- Mash it with one egg
- Wet your hair
- Massage the avocado mask into your hair
- Leave the mask for at least 20 minutes
- Rinse several times
- Do this process once a week for repair and then once a month for maintenance
3) Produce more Collagen through a Good Dose of Vitamin C
Our hair strands are surrounded by collagen which protects them from breaking. However, as we age, our body produces less collagen, making our hair vulnerable to breakage. You can get an expensive medical procedure to boost your collagen, but you can always opt to go natural by getting a good dose of vitamin C.
Eat more citrus fruits, red peppers and strawberries to get enough vitamin C. You can also boost your collagen production by supplementing your food with 250mg of vitamin C daily.
4) Get Shiny and Lively Hair through Tea
While most people only consider tea as a remedy for sore throat, it can also be used to give shine to your hair. After shampooing your hair, as a final rinse, use a quart of warm, unsweetened tea. You can also use tea as a hair colour enhancer. Just make sure to choose one that would work well with the colour of your hair:
- Chamomile tea – Use this for blonde hair to keep it shiny while retaining its light colour
- Black tea – Blondes can use this to darken their hair
- Black tea – Brunettes can use this to enrich their hair colour and at the same time, keep it shiny
5) Grow Healthy Hair with Biotin
Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin which is a popular supplement for growing out hair. You can see it in popular hair care advertisements and hair specialists also apply a serum when you get a hair treatment in Dubai.
Biotin is essential in producing glucose that breaks down protein into amino acids. You can find this nutrient in a lot of hair care products. However, you can get a bigger dose of biotin by eating lentils, walnuts, dark leafy greens, wild-caught salmon and raspberries.
6) Restore Damaged Hair with this Apple Cider Vinegar Mask
The sebum or natural oil that keeps our hair hydrated and shiny has a pH level of between 4.5 and 5.5. With the right acidity level, you can protect your scalp from bacterial and fungal growth. This means that while you’re keeping your scalp hydrated, you’re also avoiding dandruff.
The sad reality is most shampoos and other hair care products have a higher pH level which damages the cuticles of the hair and the scalp. On the other hand, apple cider vinegar has a pH level close to what our hair has. Here’s an apple cider vinegar mask you can use to restore damaged hair and safely keep it hydrated:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 egg whites
- Massage the mask into your hair
- Cover your hair with a cling wrap or a shower cap
- Let the mask sit for about half an hour
- Shampoo your hair and then rinse
While regularly visiting a salon can keep your hair healthy and shiny, you can still find remedies from natural sources. Just a simple trip to the grocery store can give you all the natural ingredients you need to take care of your hair.
Author Bio: William is a content writer for